The purpose of the W Association is to:
- Support intercollegiate athletics at Wooster.
- Honor alumni athletes who are outstanding in their accomplishments and others who have been outstanding supporters of the athletic program of the College.
The W Association was founded in 1909 and is made up of men and women who received letters as participants in Wooster’s intercollegiate athletic program, and women who participated in intercollegiate sports before varsity women’s sports were established. Associate membership in the organization will be extended to any person who is interested in supporting the intercollegiate athletic program at The College of Wooster.
Upon graduation, all varsity lettermen and letterwomen are issued a W Association card. This card allows the holder to attend all College of Wooster sponsored regular-season home athletic contests free of charge. Varsity letterwinners can request a replacement W Association card by emailing Paul Seling in the office of alumni engagement.
In 1975, the Paul V. Barrett Memorial Coach of the Year award was established with memorial gifts in honor of Paul Barrett, former coach at The College of Wooster. This award honors a College of Wooster graduate who has made significant contributions as a coach of any sport. The award recognizes a coach at any level (college, high school, professional, youth). The award factors in both on field success as well as off the field impact.
The criteria for the award is as follows:
- College of Wooster graduate
- A coach who demonstrates commitment to quality coaching
- A coach who embodies the ideals of good coaching is one who strives to win, while also pursuing the important goal of teaching life lessons through sports
- Have made an outstanding contribution to the coaching profession
- Be dedicated to the athletes and to the sport he/she is coaching and to the coaching profession
An ad hoc committee of the W Association reviews nominations each January and presents recommendations to the full W Association Board for approval. Those who wish to nominate someone for the award can do so through the online nomination form.